Lactose intolerance & how the test works
Our test starts from $175 AUD and results are issued in 2-4 weeks from receipt of samples at the laboratory. We also provide a genetic counselling service for an additional fee.
Lactase speeds up the process of converting lactose into simple sugars. The gene mutation prevents a person from producing enough lactase to effectively break down the lactose, resulting in an adverse reaction.
There are a variety of symptoms that can result from an intolerance to lactose, including bloating, pain in the abdominal area, diarrhoea, and feelings of nausea.
If you experience any of these symptoms after eating dairy foods, you may benefit from a Lactose Intolerance DNA Test. This test analyses the LCT gene, and all that is required from you is a simple mouth swab.
Your results will be returned to you within 2-4 weeks, and will tell you a number of things:
- Your level of risk of lactose intolerance, based on your genotype.
- A comprehensive list of other conditions that carry the symptoms you may be experiencing.
- Background information on lactose intolerance, and dietary recommendations and lifestyle changes that may be beneficial.
- A positive or a negative result: If you get a positive result, you should visit your GP for advice on a lactose-free or low lactose diet. Similarly, if your results are negative, you should visit your GP for further investigation of your symptoms.
The Ordering Process – Simple
Total DNA Services has streamlined the process for ordering a Lactose Intolerance DNA Test, so it’s as easy as;
- Order – Choose your test and order it online
- Pay – Pay for your test and any extras you require
- Receive – You will get your home sample collection kit in the mail. This kit contains everything required to undertake the test at home. This includes instructions for use, oral swabs, consent forms and a return envelope.
- Results – Receive your results in a quick timeframe.